Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Corkboard 101

So I made a little something yesterday...by the time I finished up it was too dark to take a decent picture. This afternoon I managed to get a picture of the completed project...


What do you think? Another piece of wall art for my scrappy room and it can double as a corkboard. (Not sure exactly where it's going to hang, but somewhere close to the work area)
I've had this idea brewing in my head for quite sometime and finally collected the materials needed and had a nice quiet afternoon/evening to complete it.

Supplies needed:
  • Picture frame (mine has 11"x14" opening)
  • cork (I bought a roll at AC Moore, might try to diecut some of my leftovers)
  • acrylic paints & inks for stamping
  • stamps (Donna Downey wheat stamp & inkadinkadoo alphas)
  • chipboard letters (Fancy Pants used here)
After cutting my cork to size I stamped the wheat in a cream colored paint across the cork sheet.
When that layer of paint had dried the next color was applied. In an attempt to create a little dimension I slightly offset the stamp so a thin area of the cream colored showed around the edge.

Allow this second layer of paint to dry, then repeat the process with the third color choice. When this was finished I thought it needed a bit more definition, so I outlined the wheat stalks with a fine point brown Sharpie.


I love mixed titles so I used a combination of stamping & chipboard. When this was done I mounted the cork sheet and inserted in my frame. This was quite fun, I'm thinking I may have to make one for Becca's room in the future. (Different colors & design of course :wink:)

2 comments:

Lisa Cole said...

Wow Jen! This is sooooo cool! I am so going to copy you and make one for my room too - soulmate :)

scrappysue said...

What a cool idea Jen, it came out really great! Too nice to stick pins in it though!!